- Learn to swim:
- Number of students enrolled and completed in course 1(during schooling year):
- Quang Ninh: 251; Dong Hoi: 290, Le Thuy: 581. Total is 1,122 students.
- For summer course, starting from June up to present:
- Quang Ninh: 715, Dong Hoi: 186, Le Thuy: 594. Total: 1,495 students are learning to swim.
Training for swim teachers:
- 2 training courses for new teachers and pool supervisors from 15 planned new pools have been conducted. Course 1 was from 9-12 April with 25 teachers, and course 2 was from 16-19 April; with the participation of 27 teachers. Total of 52 teachers have been trained. These two trainings were provided by 1 trainer from Dept of Sport and 2 trainers from SFL team. The certificates were given to all participants with logo of SFL and Dept of Sport, as an official acknowledge that teachers are certified to instructat pools.
- And 1 refresher training for returned teachers/supervisors of 11 current pool, to apply new revised curriculum, with 27 returned teachers were given training by 2 SFL staff. They have all been introduced to new curriculum for 2019.
- Water Safety Education:
- Initiated by DOET Minh Hoa, with the main message: "Education of water safety skills to prevent the drowning in coming summer" for students in 5 primary and secondary schools in Minh Hoa district, Quang Binh province.Recently, on May 21st and 22nd 2019, Swim for Life cooperated with 5 schools: Minh Hoa Primary School, Hoa Tien Primary School, Hoa Hop Primary School, Quy Dat Town Secondary school and Xuan Hoa secondary school in Minh Hoa mountainous district, Quang Binh province in order to organize the communication program "Knowledge of drowning prevention". The purpose being to improve and strengthen the knowledge and awareness of students, parents, and the community about safe swimming.
SFL team attended to improve awareness of water safety, introduce the skills of rescue, help students to recognize the places of danger; how to call for help, how to help friends and others in a safe way.
- Painting competition with the subject "Swimming, preventing drowning”; watch videos about drowning prevention; the "Golden Bell" Contest on the topic of drowning accident prevention; reinforce knowledge of prevention of drowning accidents and rescue knowledge for students, teachers, parents, local leaders/officials who now have a better understanding and knowledge on these topics.
- 5 events in 5 schools in 2 days attracted the participation of 1,306 students; 127 teachers, local leaders/officials; nearly 100 parents; 10 representatives from Commune People's Committees and leaders of Minh Hoa District Education Department.
The program has received the attention and support of relevant departments as well as the enthusiastic participation of students.
(Please kindly see attached some pictures of the program at 5 schools)
- Community Awareness Raising:
- SFL was invited by QB Television to participate in a Talk-show on ‘Warning on Drowning to Children’. SFL PM shared the objective of the program, its history, and raised the concerns of the increasing rate of drowning in QB recently, solutions for reducing the numbers of children drowning, the extent of support of GW/SFL to the local school pools, and to provide suggestions/recommendations to local authorities in not only supporting to build a pool but also for the entire community to engage in water safety education for children, as well as other members in the community, especially parents and care givers.
- SFL has contracted with Quang Binh Newspapers to make a short film/trailer on raising awareness of drowning prevention, with different scenarios, such as to record the SFL activities of training, a role play on why having knowledge on water safety is important, why learning swimming also impacts the whole life of a child etc. This activity is ongoing and it is planned to complete by July 2019. It is expected that a film/trailer will be on Facebook, web page of Quang Binh and other channels of social media etc.
- Youth Union (YU) of Quang Binh Province is seeking the opportunity to work in collaboration with SFL for water safety education for the 2 most needy districts of Tuyen Hoa and Minh Hoa where most drowning accidents have occurred. YU of QB delegates and YU of 2 districts to mobilize students and community to participate in the WSE event. They will arrange all logistics, SFL will support with presentation, documents, practice, video show etc. Youth Union is making all efforts to mobilize different resources at provincial People’s Committee and Central Youth Union in Hanoi to support with pools in those two districts, especially in Minh Hoa.
- Red Cross of Quang Binh Province: RC called successfully for funding from VINACONEX company in Hanoi to build up a portable pool in Tuyen Hoa district, and the pool was set up 15 June. They plan to start swimming lesson in July, with planned 5 continuous courses for 150 students. Since RC has no experience to run/operate the pool, and lack of resources, they have suggested SFL/GW to support the swimming curriculum, a training for 20 swim instructors on job-training basis, chemical treatment, floats, support to pool supervisor. RC has drafted a MOU to be agreed upon between GW/SFL and RC on this partnership with the expectation of having RC engaged in making the pool available, then SFL/GW to support technically. In addition to that, the water safety education is also suggested by RC to support focused schools students to be conducted at the community house or related communes or schools.
- SOS Village (orphanage) in Dong Hoi City: Being aware of how important water safety education is for children, especially ones who are homeless living in the village, the Leaders of SOS Village raised the question to SFL if we can support them or not. In term of technical support, SFL technical staff Tho and Trung can do that, since we already did similarly to 5 schools in Minh Hoa in May. A further discussion between SOS and SFL on this support will be during week of 24-28 June.
- MOLISA/Bloomberg project has invited Trung – SFL to attend in the training for TOT, for 5 days in Ha Noi, and after this training, Trung is doing training for new 15 swim instructor of Bo Trach district.
- INGO conference call has been regularly done on monthly basis for each organization update on their activities, and share the information of MOLISA/Bloomberg project and other updates nationally.